Digital Surgery 2019

To get a better understanding of Parliament and politics in general, the Y10 Citizenship classes were lucky enough to video call a member of the House of Lords, Baroness Lister, about important political topics, such as Brexit and women in politics.

Before our discussion, we spent a few lessons researching about Baroness Lister and came up with a series of questions that we could ask her. For example, as she was a member of the Labour party, there were lots of questions about her stance on Brexit and her view on the resignation of Labour MPs who chose to join the Independent Group. It was a little intimidating at first, as I was worried that Baroness Lister would use a lot of political jargon and confuse all of us, but she was very friendly and happy to talk about issues that mattered to us, such as mental health. We also had a discussion about whether the voting age should be lowered to 16, and it was interesting to hear about what Parliament was doing about Citizenship in schools. Hearing about her political views and her experience as a Lord meant that we all learnt something new during our discussion. For example, something which I was surprised to learn was that members of the House of Lords are unable to vote!

This video call was set up by the Politics Project, which is a project that aims to get people involved in politics and improve their understanding of it. I think that this is a great idea, as I felt that by talking to people who were passionate and involved in politics (such as Baroness Lister), it made me more comfortable about talking to people in politics.

Overall, it was reassuring to know that a lot of issues that I believed in were also things that mattered to her. It was also really interesting to hear about Baroness Lister’s view on politics and how her view might be different from mine.

Written by Wei-Ning T