Number of bags: One
Weight per bag: Up to 23kg (50 lb) each
Number of items One
Maximum size 55cmx40cmx23cm
WE SUGGEST YOUR CARRY-ON BAGGAGE IS A BACKPACK THAT CAN BE USED FOR CARRYING WATER AROUND SITES WE VISIT IN THE US.
Please note, you must be able to place your hand baggage in the overhead bins unaided. For those that need medication to be cooled during the flight, it is recommended that you bring a small cool bag that the flight attendants can top up on a regular basis with ice. Medication cannot be kept in the onboard fridges for safety reasons.
Daily equipment needed in your carry bag/hand luggage
- Hat, sunglasses, sunscreen and lip salve
- Multiple small, carry size, antibacterial hand gels.
- Small items of First Aid
- Bottle of water
- Any medication you need e.g. travel sickness pills. Please report any medicine to the designated first aiders.
- Hand wash and wipes
- Purse, passport, student handbook
- A body money wallet may be useful; these are around £10 from outdoor wear shops such as Go Outdoors
- Reading materials and games for the coach (4 hours from Washington to New York with a stop off in Philadelphia)
- Plastic bags and light waterproof jacket
- Medium sized suitcase (labelled, with a lock and a ribbon or some way of easily identifying it)
- Small day bag which closes securely, preferably one that goes over the shoulder
- A few plastic bags
- Mobile phone – please be discreet with your mobile. Only use it to contact parents on your arrival back into the UK and photos where necessary.
- Wristwatch/Alarm clock (leave expensive jewellery/phones at home)
- Travel adaptor plug
- Chargers for electrical equipment
- A book – they still exist! Maybe even something topical on the US, or several books available on your Kindle (see note about electrical devices below)
- Waterproof, transparent passport/document holders on a lanyard have proved very useful on expedition trips and also can be bought from Go Outdoors.
You are reminded that, if you bring expensive items, you are responsible for their safekeeping. Although it may be a good idea to take your phone for photographs, there is a high possibility that this may be stolen or dropped. iPads, apple watches, miscellaneous electric devices etc. should not be brought on the trip for this reason.
We do know that you may be inclined to bring your mobile phone for many reasons. As part of the daily activities, we expect that phones are not brought to dinner or are used as part of interactive activities. We expect all students to be social and share their experiences on a daily basis. You are in Washington and New York, BE IN THE MOMENT AND ENJOY IT!
Clothes – the dress in the US is very similar to the UK
- Light waterproof jacket (made of breathable, waterproof fabric)
- Long-sleeved and short sleeved t-shirts
- Jeans, skirts, dresses
- Light, long sleeved shirts
- Fleece jacket or warm jumper (for the coach and evenings)
- Socks and underwear
- Sun hat (preferable with adequate protection for your neck)
- Trainers/walking shoes (for the day)
- Flip flops/slippers (for in the hotel)
Please DO NOT bring clothing which is particularly revealing or inappropriate.