“Biology A Level Science Live” – inspiring the next generation to look after our world

Professor Steve JonesOn Thursday 1st February 23 of our year 12 students spent the day at Whitworth Hall listening to talks from some of the UK’s top scientists. Speakers such as Professor Robert Winston and Steve Jones led us though some fascinating topics, from the science of laughter and why we laugh, to the problems we do and will face due antibiotic resistance, trying to fathom huge numbers in relation to the different species on our planet and the ethics and issues surrounding cutting edge technologies.

Here are some thoughts from some of our students who went:

All the lectures were awesome and showed us how biology can be used in research…. They also motivated me to read more into biology, further from what we are taught in the curriculum.” (Urwaa K)

I really enjoyed the biology live and found many of the lectures fascinating. I particularly liked the science of laughter as it was very interesting considering a normal everyday action yet there’s so much more to it that you never think about. I was also surprised at how many species there are and how few we focus on. The lecture about microbes was also interesting, as it is such an important topic that can impact the future, yet there is not that much work being done on it.” (Abigail H)

Each lecture was highly interesting. I particularly enjoyed the lecture about the vast diversity and distribution of species on Earth. The lecture on the science of laughter was very informative and it made me more aware of how human behaviour can be studied in biology.” (Iman G)