AGGS has been reaccredited with the British Council’s prestigious International School Award in recognition of its work to bring the world into the classroom.
The International School Award is a badge of honour for schools that do outstanding work in international education, such as through links with partner schools overseas. Fostering an international dimension in the curriculum is at the heart of the British Council’s work with schools, so that young people gain the cultural understanding and skills they need to live and work as global citizens.
Our international work includes the Comenius project with schools in Latvia, Denmark and Spain and our longstanding links with schools in Japan and South Africa. The school has also examined global issues as in the Science and Sustainability project, as well as holding the PTA international evening. Other initiatives include participation in the Model UN and a number of modern languages cross-curricular programmes.
The adjudicators were impressed by the breadth of the school’s international work and said it was a ‘shining example’ of what can be achieved.
The International School Award encourages and supports schools to develop:
- An international ethos embedded throughout the school
- A majority of pupils within the school impacted by and involved in international work
- Collaborative curriculum-based work with a number of partner schools
- Curriculum-based work across a range of subjects
- Year-round international activity
- Involvement of the wider community