Until Death Do Us Part – Anisha M 10-7

It was after curfew. I knew they would shoot if they saw me. Knew, but didn’t understand. I only understood one thing: I would save her. Against the wilting world of weeds because she was a blossom worth saving.
Yet, here I am, the walls tightly packed as the alley was when they captured me. Slim body still shrunk and waves of shivers drowning my petals.
A better world, a new beginning, a revolution. It will start today. With me.
Then the inevitable finally arrives. Echoing off the walls like the dreaded shackles of a prisoner. Footsteps.
It has been a while since I had heard the marching that distinctly. That was when I was vulnerable. A coward.
Pain and grief heave my heart, slowing it down.
My world used to fit together like a king and his crown. It didn’t last long…but it was strong. It’s only a matter of time until I tear his world down,too.
Blood red uniformed soldiers were just as I remembered. Motionless machines following orders. My path out becomes barricaded, and this time…I’m ready.
But, as my shoulders square and  I swing out the cell, my heart falters as I look around with scorn. How many times do I have to only look around me to reveal poverty – stricken cobbled alleys. How many times do I have to witness innocents begging their innocence but get dragged away, brutally slaughtered like nothing but a shrimp to a shark? How many times can I stand by and helplessly watch his murderous eyes shine with glee? I can’t.
I won’t.
It’s time to pull the trigger. With the dictator bound between ropes I scowl, focusing all my energy towards him.
These robots, were easy to control. In fact, I didn’t even have to do much. Just…end this. Once and for all.
Searing hatreds, soaring passions, burning secrets, darkest mysteries… Everything I have ever had, everything I have, everything I will have and everyone I have lost. A current, so intense it threatens pull me in, channels towards him. Pulsating, palpitating, pinching yet pacifying. My mind flows with the energy, entangling me in the roaring calmness and I idly drift towards the dictator. Captivating the dictator in this thirst-filled  power. Faster and faster. Tighter and tighter.
I don’t stop until his eyes fade. Despite his brutality, I still feel guilty. It has to be done. I told myself over and over again.
Then she comes in, my mother, her face, still shining but blooming with surprise. She looks towards me, towards the corpse of a  king, dictator, then back again.
My mother  races towards me “Years ago I was in hiding” she gulps, eyes shimmering with tears begging to be released. “I… took you. I thought I was protecting you, but the dictator realised you were missing… he tried to eliminate everyone similar to you. She clears her throat and answers my confused look in a meek, regretful whisper. “You’re the dictator’s daughter”.
Her tears break, becoming shards of broken bottle and my heart’s anger and determination shatters too.
Then I remembered, remembered why he murdered. For me.
I thought it was fueled by my father’s anger, but I was wrong. It’s the dictator’s anger. And the same anger that murdered the innocent. The vulnerable.
He’s no father of mine.
For the second time today, my heart tightens, contracting without beating. Gripping my throat and leaving me breathless.
Cries choke out of my own strangled throat; but the tears don’t come. “I was the first one to know, but I didn’t tell anyone,” she weeps. Now I understood. She’s wasn’t my real mother. But now… I love her more than ever.
I bite my lip and sigh, joining her in a tight embrace: those that are gone, are gone. Those that are here, are here.
So I let go. All my sorrows and hatreds crumble, the wall I built around myself falls. The floor I was trapped under, crashes.
My heart can open.
And I’m free.