Well done to the girls who went this weekend. Kevin said the following to me;
‘The weekend went without a hitch. The girls came well prepared, with a great attitude to the teamwork necessary and the challenges. Some of them had done Bronze and probably felt that they were covering old ground but it was still important for them to brush up on these skills and prove to us that they had retained this knowledge and wouldn’t struggle on the Gold Training that comes next.
The next event is a planning day for the whole group of Gold. It is on Monday 20th June (9am to 4pm) and we will hold it a Burnage Rugby Club (tram station nearby). This will allow us to do indoor and outdoor sessions with them and a short navigation walk. We will be planning the Qualifier at that time. We will also be splitting into 2 groups. We have told the girls from this weekend, that they will have to spread themselves through the two groups. Please get them thinking about the two groups they will be in, so that they arrive with that already decided.
Their training/practice will be in North to Mid Wales. Starting in Corwen / Llangollen (train stop there). They will walk SW for 4 days with trainers. Visiting Bala and ending up in Dollgelleau.
Their Qualifier will be in the Peak District. Starting at Gradbach Scout Camp, South of Macclesfield and walking North to Disley, then Edale, then Crowden, then Diggle.’
Please put those dates in your diary. I will pass exact locations on once I receive them.
GET 25% OFF ENDURANCE PRODUCTS (http://enduranceforgroups.com/)
This is the unique discount code for Altrincham Girls Grammar – enter the code below when you checkout from the Endurance Shop to get 25% off your DofE equipment purchase!
We do not endorse this company but have been given this code. All members of the Award scheme are also able to use their card at Cotswolds to obtain 15% off.
It’s not the mountain we conquer, but ourselves.
Sir Edmund Hillary
Direct Entrants ONLY
Training: Saturday 5th March 2016
Practice: 23rd and 24th April 2016
You must arrive between 9 and 9:30am at Linnet Clough Scout Camp Gibb Lane Mellor Marple Bridge Near Stockport Cheshire SK6 5NB
Pick up on Sunday 4:30pm at
Buxworth Basin, Near Whalley Bridge, SK23 7NE
Planning Day: TBC
Practice Expedition: 17th to 21st July 2016
Qualifying Expedition: 31st August to 4th September 2016
Silver Practice exped will be on at 17th – 19th of June at
Linnet Clough Scout Camp
Arrive at 9 am.
However, on the last day you will walk out to a pick up point.
Pick up at approx. 4.30 pm Bugsworth Basin, near Whalley Bridge.
This will take place on the 11th of June at Wellington High School. It starts at 9am and will finish at approximately 4.45pm. You will need to be dressed appropriately and take drinks, snacks and lunch. You will also need to take your kit so that it can be checked by GRIP staff.
Bronze Qualifier:14th and 15th May 2016
Drop off at 9am pick up at 4:30pm
Drop off at Brabyns Park, Marple. This is next to a railway station and so there is over-spill parking there.
Pick up is at Bugsworth Basin, Near Whalley Bridge, SK23 7NE
Pupils may be late back and they cannot be taken away as soon as they arrive back (kit has to be handed in and groups debriefed). The pupils cannot go until they have been dismissed.
Kit List: Walking Expeditions
GRIP Expeditions will provide the following for students:
- Tent, sleeping mat, group first aid kit and emergency shelter.
- Stove and fuel and maps.
Students /parents will need to provide the following: (it’s not an exhaustive list)
- Walking boots
- Students will need a 65-100 litre Rucksack. Large enough to put sleeping bag inside and all other stuff except mat. Students often buy smaller dry bags to help keep things organized and dry.
- Sleeping Bag of a suitable warmth (at least 3 season), a compression sac can be used to make this smaller.
- Small Wash kit
- Head torch
- Compass (for Silver and Gold Award only)
- Personal First Aid Kit
- Day clothes. Polyester/Nylon are warm and quick drying. NOT Cotton and Denim as they stay cold and wet. Tracksuit bottoms/shorts/layers of tops: thermals/t-shirt/fleece top. Extra layers if cold. Long sleeve tops are best even in hot weather as they will help prevent sunburn and sunstroke.
- Spare set of clothing for in the evenings
- Spare shoes for in the evening (may be wet campsite grass)
- Pocket Knife
- Sun cream/insect repellent (think about sharing between the group)
- Waterproof Jacket and Trousers
- Mobile phone (1 or 2 between the group is fine)
- Sun Hat (that preferably covers the neck as well)/Sunglasses
- Water bottles (enough to carry 2 litres each)
- Food for the whole of the expedition including emergency rations.
- Transport to the venues is not provided, you have to make your own way there.
New boots should be worn prior to a training day to ensure correct fit and comfort. Blisters often prevent a young person from completing their expedition.
Pupils without the appropriate equipment outlined as a minimum above, will not be able to participate due to safety reasons. Parents will be expected to pick pupils up from the school, or from whichever base is being used, should such a situation arise.
This takes place on 12th and 13th of March at:
Linnet Clough Scout Camp
Arrive between 9 and 9:30am.
Pick up on Sunday at 4:30pm.