This will take place on the 11th of June at Wellington High School. It starts at 9am and will finish at approximately 4.45pm. You will need to be dressed appropriately and take drinks, snacks and lunch. You will also need to take your kit so that it can be checked by GRIP staff.
Kit List: Walking Expeditions
GRIP Expeditions will provide the following for students:
- Tent, sleeping mat, group first aid kit and emergency shelter.
- Stove and fuel and maps.
Students /parents will need to provide the following: (it’s not an exhaustive list)
- Walking boots
- Students will need a 65-100 litre Rucksack. Large enough to put sleeping bag inside and all other stuff except mat. Students often buy smaller dry bags to help keep things organized and dry.
- Sleeping Bag of a suitable warmth (at least 3 season), a compression sac can be used to make this smaller.
- Small Wash kit
- Head torch
- Compass (for Silver and Gold Award only)
- Personal First Aid Kit
- Day clothes. Polyester/Nylon are warm and quick drying. NOT Cotton and Denim as they stay cold and wet. Tracksuit bottoms/shorts/layers of tops: thermals/t-shirt/fleece top. Extra layers if cold. Long sleeve tops are best even in hot weather as they will help prevent sunburn and sunstroke.
- Spare set of clothing for in the evenings
- Spare shoes for in the evening (may be wet campsite grass)
- Pocket Knife
- Sun cream/insect repellent (think about sharing between the group)
- Waterproof Jacket and Trousers
- Mobile phone (1 or 2 between the group is fine)
- Sun Hat (that preferably covers the neck as well)/Sunglasses
- Water bottles (enough to carry 2 litres each)
- Food for the whole of the expedition including emergency rations.
- Transport to the venues is not provided, you have to make your own way there.
New boots should be worn prior to a training day to ensure correct fit and comfort. Blisters often prevent a young person from completing their expedition.
Pupils without the appropriate equipment outlined as a minimum above, will not be able to participate due to safety reasons. Parents will be expected to pick pupils up from the school, or from whichever base is being used, should such a situation arise.
This takes place on 12th and 13th of March at:
Linnet Clough Scout Camp
Arrive between 9 and 9:30am.
Pick up on Sunday at 4:30pm.
Letters for this were sent via Parent Mail but if you are having trouble accessing these letters then you can get them from reception. A deposit is also required. They are also in Pupil Read area under CLUBS and DofE.
Two forms are required, an invite letter for the appropriate level and also an enrolment form.
Year 9 Bronze
year 10 Silver
Year 12 Gold
These two applications and the deposit should be in by Friday the 13th 2015.
From September we will be using an outside agency to provide the expedition part of the award. This means that all girls who want to, will be able to take part in the award depending on their year. Year 9 will participate in the Bronze Award, Year 10 the Silver Award and Year 12 the Gold Award. There will be an information evening about this in the new term.