MUNCH 2017

Last weekend, Mr Humphreys took to AGGS delegations to the Model United Nations Cheadle Hulme conference (MUNCH). We were representing Palestine and Turkey in different committees, after researching their stand-points of a variety of issues. The opening ceremony

Despite the early start on Saturday, we headed to our committees raring to go. I was in Health and ice breakers over, we launched into lively debate. Many of us gave policy statements, outlining our country’s view and my resolution got chosen for debate and eventually was passed, completely making my day.  In many of our committees, international tensions rose so high that delegates were evicted and, in mine, made to sit under a desk at the back! Some of our AGGS delegates received joke awards including Tara getting “best couple” with Israel, Sanah and Rosie winning Best dressed and myself “sassiest” and “most likely to be a dictator”! The day ended with the release of an international crisis, involving the spreading of a lethal pesticide.

On the Sunday morning we debated clauses attempting to resolve different aspects of the crisis, then joined in general assembly. Although there was not much time, quite a few of us spoke. Following the news that China was to blame for not intervening, Safa and I argued that it should be replaced by Palestine and made an observer state! When it came to the closing ceremony, as a school we claimed lots of awards:

Safa A- Commended delegate

Mariam J- Commended Delegate

Isabella I- Commended delegate

Sanah K- Commended delegate

Tara F- Highly Commended delegate

Me- Best Young Delegate

Overall, it was an amazing weekend- we’ve all made new friends, learnt new skills and had lots of fun- A big thank you to Mr Humphreys for being our advisor, without him we couldn’t have gone!

Written by Hania S