Youth Board Trip 2018

Hello, I’m Hira (Year 12) and I have been an Anti-Bullying Ambassador for nearly 3 years at AGGS. Last year I applied to be a part of the National Youth Board and earlier this year I was shortlisted. After an interview with a member of the Anti-Bullying staff, I was sent an e-mail saying I had been accepted and I was surprised; I didn’t expect to be chosen!

During the Easter half term, all the youth board members from around the UK met in London. The Diana Award had organised a three-day trip including a visit to the new Facebook HQ and the Anti-Bullying HQ. Not only did I have my first Nando’s meal and receive a t-shirt and jumper with the youth board logo, I met an amazing group of people voicing the opinions of the ambassadors from their school and constantly campaigning to end bullying. We all bonded within the first few hours and I enjoyed every part of the trip. I can’t wait to meet the youth board members again in August!

So, why am I sharing this? I think the most important way to implement change nationally is to work with ambassadors from all over the UK; picking out the strengths and weaknesses in our schools and promoting the brilliant work they do. I had a chance to meet Alex Homes, the founder of Anti-Bullying Ambassadors and share how passionate our AGGS team is and the work we do to create a friendlier and bully-free zone at school. I am extremely proud of the current team and I know the ambassadors in the future will continue the great work!

What will the youth board try to achieve in the next year? We are currently creating E-Safety presentations and we will visit schools in our area to teach the students how to be safe online. The idea was inspired by our Facebook HQ visit; we discussed safety features with members of the Facebook and Instagram family. I aim to present to students next year in our school and visit local schools as well. I have already begun visiting primary schools to promote Anti-Bullying and I am extremely happy that their teams are working hard to create a friendly school environment. I hope to visit more schools and exchange ideas and help them in their school events/campaigns.

Here are some pictures of the trip and the National Youth Board for the next year! I’m excited to see what we achieve… 🙂

And yes, we met Will Poulter and interviewed him!

The top level of Facebook HQ is dedicated to a pick-and-mix, a doughnut and ice-cream bar and a cafe! (We all filled several cups with sweets…)

Follow our Instagram page and see updates on what the youth board members are doing in their schools: @antibullyingyouthboard18

Follow the AGGS Anti-Bullying Twitter to see what our ambassadors get up to: @AGGantibullying