Ellie Creed

Ellie Creed

“I went to Altrincham Grammar School for Girls and now I am a Media Operational Meteorologist, providing TV and radio scripts for customers such as ITV.”

Ellie, Media Operational Meteorologist

Years attended:

1999-2006

Job Title:

Media Operational Meteorologist

Description of Job:

Provide MET Office weather forecasts and advice for the Military and Defence, media, civil aviation, flood forecasting, space weather, media and the World Area Forecast Cenrte (WAFC) London. I provide radio scripts for Radio 5, BBC Radio 4, BBC local radio, STV, UTV. TV graphics, support and TV presenter briefing are given to ITV, ITV Good Morning Britain, Sky News Weather and S4C.

O Levels/GCSEs

English  (AB)

Geography (A*)

English  (AB)

Geography (A*)

Maths (A)

German (B)

Science (Dual Award) (AA)

P.E. (A)

French (A)

A Levels

Biology (C)

Maths (C)

Geography (B)

University

University of Leeds (Undergratuate)
University of Reading (Postgraduate)

Courses: BSc Environmental Science and MSc Applied Meteorology

What inspired you at school?

I really enjoyed Geography at school, and in particular the weather topic we covered as part of my GCSE.

Any useful tips/advice?

If you are interested in the weather and forecasting, try and organise as much work experience in a science related field as you can (the Met Office offers work experience and summer placements on an annual basis).

What have you done since leaving AGGS to get to where you are today? (eg work experience, GAP year, apprenticeship, volunteering, travelling)

I worked as a volunteer hockey coach at a local hockey club, worked for Arvia Ltd (Water treatment company) and helped at an after school kids club. Worked at a Garden centre followed by 4 months working in the South of France. From Sept – Dec 2006 I did BSc nursing at University of Leeds, realised this wasn’t for me so applied the following Sept for Environmental Science at Leeds Uni.

I first started working for the military at RAF Coningsby (mainly for Typhoons, Tornados and Battle of Britain Memorial Flight – Spitfires and the Lancaster bomber). I also had to brief pilots on the weather on a daily basis and forecast the weather for the quick response aircraft that guide any suspect planes into Stansted etc.

How did you get into your current role?

Applied whilst finishing Masters course at Reading University.

What is the best bit about your job and do you have a particular career highlight?

Interaction with the customer. No day is the same when it comes to the weather! It is a fast paced job that gives me great satisfaction.