Abigail Parker

Abigail Parker

“I went to Altrincham Grammar School for Girls, and now I assist clients globally on how to manage talent in recruitment and development. ”

Abigail, Principal Client Partner

Years attended:

1979-1985

Job Title:

Principal Client Success Partner

Description of Job:

Help clients globally to manage talent in recruitment and development using psychometric assessment and consultancy. Provide support to my clients and ensure their projects are delivered successfully, on time and within budget. The projects I work on are mainly related to graduate and apprenticeship assessment for recruitment. Using strengths based assessment, we can identify what it takes to be successful in different organisations and design assessments that assess for those strengths. For example: Efficient Planner, Agile Learner, Resilient Performer would be typical strengths employers might be looking to assess.

O Levels/GCSEs

English Literature, English Language, Maths, Physics, Biology, French, History, Art

A Levels

Economics, Maths, Physics

University

De Montfort University (formerly Leicester Polytechnic) and Manchester Metropolitan University

Course: BSc Computer Science

What inspired you at school?

My amazing History Teacher, Mrs Kershaw and having positions of responsibility.

Any useful tips/advice?

Developing emotional intelligence is as important as getting good grades. Make your big decisions with your heart and your little decisions with your head.

What have you done since leaving AGGS to get to where you are today? (eg work experience, GAP year, apprenticeship, volunteering, travelling)

I volunteered at Brownies and did work experience at an Engineering company in Bramhall, medical conference in Brighton, bar work and babysitting. Maximising all the opportunities to work in different places around the world and try different types of companies at different life stages. I went to university and that opened my eyes up to life beyond Altrincham: people from different backgrounds with different hopes and dreams!

How did you get into your current role?

After having spent 25 years in sales globally, I set up my own business. It’s intellectually challenging

What specific qualifications are needed for your job?

None academically although I wouldn’t have got to where I am without qualifications. My main qualification is in understanding people!

Are there any particular subjects that have to be studied to be able to do your job?

No

What is a typical work day like for you?

Long, challenging and very rewarding! Lots of emails, phone calls, Skype calls and face-to-face meetings. I’m in London one or two days a week with clients and I get to work out of our cool offices down there. You can even take your dog into work!

What is the best bit about your job and do you have a particular career highlight?

The best bit about my job is the fact that we are solving problems for our clients and promoting diversity and inclusion as well as social mobility (fairness of access to top jobs). My career highlight was definitely visiting the J Edgar Hoover Building in Washington DC as the FBI were once a client of mine.

What are the worst things about your job?

The long hours and dedication required when we are under pressure to meet deadlines.

What skills help you most in your job (i.e. teamwork, communication, leadership, time management)?

Listening, questioning and organisational skills.

What advice would you give to students looking to get into your line of work? (e.g. subjects to study, getting work experience)

Study something you love and work in a variety of places for experience to help you to discover your dream job.

How did your experience at AGGS help you to achieve your successes?

Working together to achieve goals, for example, the Sixth Form pantomime. Being a Senior Student put me ahead of the curve. As a lifelong volunteer, I have experiences that make me far more appreciative of people.