Goodbye Mr Capon!

School technician, photographer and most importantly, co-founder of the AGGS News Blog, Mr Capon, is sadly leaving us at the end of this academic year. After four years at this school, here’s what he had to say…

Why are you leaving?
I’m leaving AGGS to pursue a career in teaching, so I’m going to do my teacher training next year. I’ll start in September, and it lasts a year so I’ll probably finish around this time next year and should get a nice long summer.

Why do you want to go into teaching?
Obviously I’ve enjoyed my job here, it’s been good fun- but I want to challenge myself a bit more and I think teaching is the way forward. I’ve learnt a lot during my time at AGGS, one of which is interacting with pupils and I think I can apply that to my teaching and subject knowledge.

Where are you going?
I’m going to Cheadle Hulme High, and I’ll spend two terms at Cheadle Hulme and then another term in a different school. I applied for a couple of different schools, but Cheadle Hulme was my first option so I got the place there, and I took it!

Why computer science?
Well to start off it’s definitely the best subject anyone can take, without question! Obviously I’ve worked in I.T. since I’ve been here and I’ve always been interested in computers and how they work and computer science is a relatively new concept in school and has taken over ICT. I think it’s a fantastic opportunity for people to learn more about computers. I personally didn’t take ICT but now that people have the opportunity to take computer science, I’d love to teach that and give something back

What will you miss most about AGGS?
Honestly just the staff and the pupils. I’ve made a load of really good friends here and the pupils are fantastic, most of the time as well! The best thing about AGGS I think is the opportunities the staff get and pupils, not only in the classroom and around school, as I have been fortunate enough to go on a lot of trips which has given me a different insight into what can be learnt outside the classroom and I’ve seen some girls really flourish on these trips.

What have you taken from this school?
I’ve not stolen anything, I promise! But when I joined- almost four years ago- I was almost quite shy, I think everyone agrees with that! As part of my role I’ve taken on as much as I can. I’ve started and helped clubs, done as many trips as I can…the blog! I’ve gotten involved as much as I can around school and that’s given me the confidence to go on and teach. I feel like if I hadn’t been at this school it would’ve have panned out the way it has which I am very fortunate for.

Any final words of advice?
Just carry on as you’re doing, the things I’ve seen here have been fantastic, the hard work, the dedication, the friendships! It’s been great and hopefully the SDL will carry on too!

We would like to thank Mr Capon for all his help throughout the years, and we wish him the best of luck in the future!